Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Past couple of weeks in review


Well...I must say...my life is pretty boring. Not a whole lot has been going on. Kids are good. Dogs are good. Jason and I are good. What more can I ask for?? Well...here's what's up with the family...

Jason- work, work, and more work. He is trying to get another paper in for some grant money...hopefully he will get it in and it will be accepted. Our goal is for him to get some money so we can stay here in Champaign and he can get a tenure track position at the U of I. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Bradley- still dealing with the same issues. Lying, Sneaking, and Stealing (from friends of ours and family). This is part of his RAD, and he's been doing it for SOOOO long...hopefully things will start to get better. Jason and I have been seeing Michael Trout and he has been pretty helpful to us. A lot of it is just how we handle Bradley and the things he does. Yelling, spanking, timeouts, taking things away, etc. , "Normal" things you would do with a "normal" child...don't work. It's a lot about being calm, talking to him about how we wish he would make different choices, hopefully he will decide to return whatever it is that he took, while the whole time not yelling, and not letting him "get" to us. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done...and I'm not very good at it. Jason is much better. I am also reading a wonderful book by Daniel Hughes "Building the bonds of attachment". We are going to try to do some of the techniques that they are doing in the book, we'll see how they work.

Becca- Perfect attendance in school!!! She is so excited about this. She LOVES kindergarten and every morning can't wait to get to school. Gymnastics is going good, we are going to sign her up for another semester. Daisy Girl Scouts start this Thursday...she is very excited about this also. She is a very busy girl.

James- Talking more and more everyday. This child amazes me and I love listening to him and watching him do new things everyday. He is starting to put more and more words together and doing all kinds of different things. I love this age!!! He also is saying "President Obama"...which is so cute and "irritated" Jason just a bit.

Me- I am feeling pretty good. Stopped taking my Wellbutrin and Glucophage. I think I am doing pretty good off of it...we'll see...it's been a month. Work is OK. Family life is Wonderful!!! I can't wait till Christmas break so I'll be home with them for a week and a half.

Well, my new goals are to keep the house clean and go through the kids' toys...to make room for some new ones. Christmas and then 2 birthdays the first week of January...didn't plan that very well did I?? The kids are definitely not getting the same amount of presents that they have in the past. We are trying to cut down and teach them a bit more about what Christmas is and why we celebrate it. I'm starting to realize that they don't know much about it and I do not want them to think Christmas is all about them...it's so much more. I have tried talking with our families about this and to not give them TOO much...I'm sure it won't help...but I will continue to try.

Well...I think that's about it for now...hope everyone has a GREAT week!!!

No comments: